Skip to main content
0800 121 4773
Quick exit

Forum Minutes 12th August 2019

 

Forum Meeting

Date:     12 August 2019                                  Present: MR, KD, AB, SA, JL, (chair & minutes)                                                    Apologies: SB, TPT                                                          

Date of next meeting: Monday 7th October 2019

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Responsible

 

Actions from last meeting

 

Overdue actions for attention (previous deadline)

 

Quality Standards (12th August)

 

 

Arrange 1 to 1’s with JL until March 2019 (21st July)

 

 

Group bio for website (21st July)

 

 

Lamps for hearing room (11th July)

 

New evaluation tool (21st July)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Draft to be created and circulated for feedback

 

Check respective diaries and propose dates via meeting requests

 

MR has already circulated but members need to feed back to approve

 

AW to purchase

 

Finalise and circulate to members for sign off

 

 

 

JL and members

 

 

KD and MR

 

 

Head and members

 

 

AW (SA)

 

SA

 

Process Matters

 

Revised Pre hearing sheet

 

 

 

 

 

 

Making referrals on time

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Proposed revision of debrief sheet and practice

 

 

 

 

 

 

Briefing sheet has been revised by HC’s and Manager and this has greatly improved the qualitative information shared with members prior to facilitating hearings. Thanks to SA, AW and LI for their work on this.

 

Discussion on best practice regards making referrals to Police Scotland. Agreed the principle, “nothing about me without me” and the importance of involving participant in decision making and next steps. Agreed this conversation is best managed on the day of the hearing and that risk should be actioned accordingly Accepted that some risk does not become evident until members review their notes or review the transcript retrospectively.  In these exceptional cases the principle of “nothing about me without me” must remain at the forefront of our practice and any proposed action for retrospective referral should be discussed with Head or Manager before taking outside of NCF to ensure all considerations are properly managed

 

JL proposed revision of the debrief questions and practice with the aim of supporting form members to identify and consider risk which may be reportable, and may sit outside the legislative articles governing NCF.

 

 

 

Thanks to SA, AW and LI for their work on this.

 

 

 

 

Aspire to make referrals as soon as possible after hearings and always with the knowledge of participants, ensuring their views are taken into account

 

 

Invite Police Scotland team to Forum meeting to deliver refresher training

 

 

 

 

 

 

Revise post hearing form and develop practice around identification of risk

 

 

 

SA to next staff team meeting

 

 

 

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

 

 

 

SA by 16th Aug

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SA, Head and Members

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

 

 

 

KPI’s for Forum processes

 

 

 

 

TPT had circulated the draft KPI document which contained views and some loose proposals for timescales of each component in the workflow. JL explained our collective responsibility to ensure NCF is compliant with agreed timescales for completing inputting and publishing records prior to destruction of confidential data. KPI’s are essential if we are to hold ourselves to account, continue to monitor issues and bottlenecks and work towards solutions.

 

 

Agreed that JL and TPT will work together on the next draft, bringing the total workflow timescale to within 12 weeks as expected.

 

 

 

 

 

 

TPT and JL to draft and circulate to members by 25th September

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

 

Feedback from Research Associate

MM joined the meeting and shared some potential practice matters identified from the database which members were asked to be mindful of.

 

MM provided an update on the qualitative report which will be shared with members very soon, prior to JL presenting at next Board Meeting.

 

JL asked members to be mindful of interrupting MM with database questions to avoid distraction from his core role.

Members to take feedback into account and alter practice if required

 

MM to circulate report

 

 

 

Members to ask other staff for support

ALL

 

 

 

MM (SA) by 16th August

 

 

 

ALL

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

 

Participant Evaluation Form

 

 

SA has created a new evaluation tool which will be offered to participants after the hearing and can be sent back in reply paid envelope. Manager will monitor and report to Forum on responses.

SA to circulate form to members for comment.

 

Members to comment and return

 

Manager and Hearing co-ordinators to implement

SA by 15th August

 

 

ALL by 21st August

 

Hearing co-ordinators by 22nd August and ongoing

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Responsible

NCF Operational Business Plan 2019-20

 

 

 

 

The Operational Business Plan has now been completed and all staff have performance objectives they are working to fulfil in support of the operational plan. No feedback was received from members and the plan will be shared with MWC board at the end of August

NCF Manager owns the plan and oversees its implementation

 

 

 

 

 

SA and staff team

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Responsible

Annual Report

 

Update provided and publication expected to be completed imminently. JL will present to MWC Board on 27th August

 

SA to chase up designers for final proof and editing

SA by 16th August

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Responsible

Lesson Learned Exercise

 

SA fed back the purpose and outcomes from the Lessons Learned exercise regarding the remote hearings. The appreciative enquiry model favoured by JL encourages an open, reflective and constructive response when things go wrong, thus allowing all concerned to identify and apply learning and implement change without the need for punitive measures. Some disagreement was expressed about this approach.

ALL to apply lesson learned to future practice for remote hearings, and for multiple hearings being arranged by one participant.

ALL

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Responsible

Recruitment Update

 

 

 

Everyone is looking forward to welcoming Joe Wallace to the NCF on 22nd August as out new Communications and Outreach Officer

 

SA has announced she is moving on to an exciting new opportunity at the end of August. All expressed sincere thanks to SA for all that she has achieved in the short time she has been part of NCF. She will be very much missed and we all wish her well with her next appointment.

 

JL will commence recruitment for a new Manager.

 

 

Finalise induction and arrange some time with member/s if possible

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Initiate recruitment

SA and members

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JL and MWC HR by Friday 16th August

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Responsible

AOCB

 

Process Mapping Day

 

 

 

Change of date for November Forum meeting

 

 

 

 

We agreed to carry out a process mapping exercise on Monday 7th October starting promptly at 10.30am. We will break for lunch at 1pm and the Forum meeting will commence at 2pm.

 

JL to propose a new date for the November Forum meeting.

 

 

Inform staff team and TPT

 

 

 

 

November Forum meeting now to be held on Monday 18th November at 2pm

 

 

SA and JL by 13th August

 

 

 

 

ALL to update diaries

 

This site uses cookies and other tracking technology to assist with site navigation and feedback, to analyse your use of our site, to assist us with site promotion and to manage content from third parties. Find out more.